Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Picking Me Apart

Merry Christmas, everyone. I know you all are with family and focused on something other than your fertility.  Unfortunately, I am thousands of miles away from my family and my husband has to work. That means I am left with my crazy thoughts.  While I have some things on my mind, I figured I should go ahead and write them out.


My husband and I completed labs for my doctor last week.  So far, here's what we know:


1. Hubby has lots of sperm, but the doctor is concerned with their shape.  She thinks there are too many overly-round ones.  She gave him antibiotics. I am not really sure as to why. I have to get a more detailed answer. She just kept saying there may be an infection, but we don't have STDs.  We had this conversation over the phone.  She wanted him on the meds immediately in hopes that this issue will be resolved before I ovulate this month.


2.  My thyroid is on the high end.  My TSH levels measured at 3.58.  My doctor immediately sent me an email saying this could, "totally be affecting my ability to conceive."  My thyroid is sluggish. She says my TSH levels should be 2.5 and under for optimum fertility possibilities.  I did some research and learned that a sluggish thyroid can lead to weight gain, prevent ovulation and cause a shortened luteal phase.  Of course there are plenty of cases where people with hypothyroidism get pregnant with no problem.  So this may not be the issue at all.  She prescribed thyroid medicine for me and assured me that it should begin working within days.  The hope is that my TSH levels will drop in time for my ovulation.

3.  Femara: as a I mentioned before I am taking femara this month.  I am taking 5 MG on Cycle days 3-7.  Tonight will be my final night.  So far I haven't really felt any symptoms. I'm not really sure that I should feel any yet.  I am supposed to begin using Ovulation prediction strips on CD 10.  From that point we have been ordered to "baby dance"every other night.  I'll have my follicle check on New Year's Eve.  If things look good, we'll go for the IUI in January.  The Hubby and I are still discussing if we'll go through with the IUI for this cycle.  Oh who am I kidding? We're going through with it. I don't trust my cervix after that last Dye test.

I do have some questions for the doctor and I have to figure out when I will address them.  She is very good at answering questions via email. but I need some face to face time.  We are supposed to chat during my follicle check, but I don't think that will happen. I am going in before work and quite frankly, I don't have time to stay.  I already know I'll at least be a half hour late for work. I don't know if I can stand to be any more late than that. I have a very deadline oriented job.

Here are my questions:

1. Why did you choose to put me on Femara first, instead of Clomid?  Although the side effects that come with clomid scare me, it is cheaper than Femara. It would have been nice to start off with something cheap.

2.  How many Femara cycles before you call it quits?

3.  How low do you want my TSH levels to go?  I've read that folks got pregnant after finally getting their levels down to a 1.

4.  Coffee?  I love it. I mean I REALLY LOVE it.  I have been grappling with the issue of quitting it for a while, but decided there was no need. Now I am not so sure because at this point, I'm desperate as hell.  So on December 24th, I decided coffee and I are done.  I've read that caffeine could impact your fallopian tubes' ability to contract and help your fertilized egg reach the uterus.  I can't take any chances.  So my question is, can I have SOME coffee?  How much can I have a day?  I love coffee!!! I have only been without it a full 24 hours and I am already losing my mind. Can I have a little?

No comments:

Post a Comment